ERIN THOMAS PLAYWRIGHT FUND
With the support of the Thomas family, Playwriting Australia has established a playwright travel bursary in memory of playwright Erin Thomas. It can be tough getting your playwriting career going if you live outside of the capital cities – opportunities to engage with the theatre industry are rare and expensive. The Erin Thomas Playwright Fund has been created to support emerging playwrights from regional or remote areas to attend opportunities or events that would help them develop their careers. Supported by the Thomas Family, the Fund seeks to commemorate Erin’s optimism and her creative talent and further her generous contribution to the arts by helping emerging writers to pursue their dreams.
Born and raised in Tamworth, NSW, Erin Thomas studied theatre at the University of Western Sydney, Nepean and screenwriting at RMIT. Erin jointly won third prize in the ICI Australia and Sydney Theatre Company Young Playwrights’ award. Her play’ 5 Ways’was winner of the Griffin Searchlight prize in 2005 and she received a Cultural Development Grant for the city of Port Philip to create a children’s play, ‘From Russia with Love’. Her writing has been performed in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide and she worked at ABC Television, AFTRS, the Sydney Opera House, Sydney Theatre Company, the Barbican, Tate Modern and Edinburgh’s Underbelly, and also mentored, and produced the works of others while pursuing her own career.
To be eligible for the fund, playwrights need to:
• Reside in a regional, remote or rural area of Australia; and
• Be at an early stage of their career and have had no more than two professional productions Funded travel costs can include airfares, accommodation, per diems or other relevant expenses.
Playwrights may apply to attend events and opportunities, such as:
• Rehearsal Room internships at PWA’s events
• a State Exchange collaboration on a new work with an interstate artist or theatre company
• attendance at our National Play Festival
• Other external projects or opportunities that will benefit the writers’ professional career development Successful playwrights will be selected by a committee including Playwriting Australia’s key creative staff, representatives from the Thomas family and appointed artistic advisers.
APPLY NOW! Download Submission Guidelines Please ensure you download and read the full guidelines for detailed information on eligibility, acceptable script format and information required, and how to apply.
The following information will be required in your application:
2. Your CV/resume
3. A short project proposal (max 500 words)
4. Travel budget (Click here to download the template)
5. Optional material including letters of invitation or support (max 3 pages)
Email: Download the Application Form and email with required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Erin Thomas Playwright Fund.
Post: Print out the Application Form and post along with required documents to: Playwriting Australia Level 3, 10 Hickson Road Sydney NSW 2000.
There are no closing dates for the Erin Thomas Fund, applications are accepted year round. The Erin Thomas Playwright Fund has been made possible through the generosity of the Thomas family and some of Erin’s closest friends.
Playwriting Australia gratefully acknowledges this support, without which we would not be able to offer this unique opportunity to playwrights.